The interim Board and ED's mandate is to consolidate the Board and expand it to better represent the cultural and geographical regions of our organization. If you want to use the following to include in the section of governance.
Interim Board of Directors
- Tuma Young - NS/Mi'kmaq
- Denise Cole - Labrador / Inuit
- Eliza Knockwood PEI/Mi'kmaq
- Chief Allan Polchies Jr. - NB/Wolastoqiyik
- Alivia Moore (Lead Representative for Passamaquoddy and Penobscot Nations). Not yet a board member until the next AGA
- Gaspe region Board Director - vacant until next AGA
- Newfoundland Board Director - vacant until next AGA
- Potential Board Directors - Innu, Passamaquoddy, and Penobscot Nations) if it is decided in the AGA to follow a Nations/Cultural Group/Territory-based Board representation
- Interim Executive Director - John R. Sylliboy (as ED, does not have a vote in the Board)
The Advisory Circle
The Advisory Circle provides guidance on all matters including Governance, Ceremonial, and Traditional Knowledge of the Alliance. The Board and Advisory work collaboratively to address all matters in a Two-Eyed Seeing approach. The Board will use Robert's Rules for decision-making while the Advisory will follow a traditional approach to discussions (sharing or talking circles) and vote based on a simple majority. It consists of the following until the official AGA in Fall 2020, if not sooner.
- Co-Founders (Tuma Young and John R.)
- 2 Elders (currently Elder Walter Johnson and Elder Kenny Prosper)
- 2 Youth (previous youths were Jessica Rowe and Jeremy Dutcher) but the seats are currently vacant until the next AGA
- TOR for Advisory will be drafted and approved in the next AGA
- 1 Elder/Knowledge Holder from each region and/or Nations/Group
- 2 youth - continue with youth representation or expand to represent the region
The Youth Circle
Previous discussions, including a recommendation from the Pride Gathering at Mount Saint Vincent University in July 2017 have supported that the Alliance should support the foundation of a Two-Spirit youth circle or council. It was recommended that the youth council will be brought to the next AGA/Regional gathering for further discussion. This is an active call to action for the next gathering.